Sunday 15 July 2007

Electromagnetic waves anyone?

"-My name is Antenna Galore.
- I musssht be dreaming!"

I work for Westar Satellite Services, and my office is at the heart of their teleport, surrounded by gigantic satellite dishes. Some are 11m in diameter, there are more than 30 dishes facing south, pointing at geostationary satellites over the Equator.

Is that cool or what?





The big bastard below is already decommissioned, but it looks impressive nonetheless. Those in the know realise that the shape is not right, the beam it sends is wider than 2 degrees, which is not allowed by the FCC anymore, as it would interfere with too many satellites. So it is useless, and as it is slowly rusting away it is becoming dangerous, some similar antennae have collapsed over neighbouring buildings in other teleports. The customers do not like it, they have asked Westar to take it down, which would cost a lot of money. If I had the money I'd do them the favour, I would dismantle it and then install it in my front garden. And I would paint "CIA" on the base, I bet that no neighbour would mess with me.


If I believed all the rubbish that is published every day I'd be very worried. Every other day there is a "study" that suggests that electromagnetic waves cause cancer, memory loss, headaches, impotence, you name it, and of course some jobless activist gets carried away and starts a campaign against the culprit. I remember reading about some university recommending using hands free kits with mobiles, so that the phone itself is kept away from the head, to avoid memory loss. And so many people protest against having a mobile antenna near (or on top of) their home. There is even people complaining about overhead lines "affecting" them!

Bollocks! I am surrounded by powerful antennae transmitting signals of several kilowatts and my brain is doing fine thank you very much, I am not going to worry about a tiny mobile phone getting too close to my head!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home